Thirteen days! Thirteen days of keeping a promise to myself. For someone who loves to talk, for someone who loves to share the fun and excitement when something great happens, keeping my mouth shut about the Season 6 premiere was really a challenge. Seeing the episode on Queen’s Beach at Sunset on the Beach was a wonderful experience but it also was extremely helpful in my attempt not to spoil anyone until it aired on TV. Because even though I got to see the episode almost 2 weeks before most people, I can honestly say it was a bit difficult to remember everything that happened in the episode.
First off, as usual, we were given a premiere simply jammed packed with enough going on to make my head spin. Add to that, being up for over 26 hours the day before, then spending over 12 hours on Saturday on the extremely wet then brilliantly sunny, scorching hot and humid beach. By the time the episode began I was not the most coherent person on the beach. Then, having found a spot in the sand only about 10 feet from the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean, hearing the episode was a bit of a challenge. It was, quite frankly, really noisy. Add to that we were a significant distance from the screen and there was a giant pole holding all the stage lights blocking part of the screen. Watching the premiere episode of H50 at SOTB was a wonderful experience I will never forget but it’s really not the best way to capture all the nuances of a great episode.
I did know I really loved everything in the episode I was actually able to see and hear. I “awwwed”, I laughed, I cringed, I cheered. I had to turn away from the screen at one point and at another I think I actually screamed. In short, this episode was everything I expect from a great H50 episode.
But because of the distractions on the beach I was looking forward to seeing the episode on Friday night even more than usual. Already seeing it whetted my appetite to really watch it, from the comfort and quiet of my sofa so I could see and hear everything I already knew I loved and catch up on anything I might have missed.
So let’s get started:
– Pirates invade Honolulu and the Crime of the Week: Having just spent a week in Honolulu and visiting not only the famous Aliʻiōlani Hale but also Queen Emma’s Summer Palace and the Bishop Museum, I’ve come to understand a bit more about the richness of Hawaiian history and, although this is pure fiction, I really enjoyed seeing the scene at the banquet in the Palace of King Kalakaua. Too bad the pirates had to invade and ruin the happy occasion! I was almost expecting to see Capt. Jack Sparrow appear on my screen at any moment. “Take what you can…give nothing back”.
The COTW was a good story, with lots of twists and turns as is usual for H50. I always enjoy a COTW that makes me think, that I’m sure I have figured out yet still manages to surprise me. Some people don’t like it when the plot is rather confusing, but I like when I have to really puzzle something out. And it doesn’t bother me in the least when I get it wrong. It happens a lot! LOL This one went back and forth to include a murder, a museum robbery, a couple of hostage situations and a treasure hunt. It was a bit dizzying but really a great story. I like them like this!
I also liked how they used Jerry on this because, well, let’s face it, legends, myths, conspiracies, they are all right up his alley. I really like it when Jerry invades Steve’s office to work on one of his convoluted theories which requires he spread out all over Steve’s desk and office. It’s also really cute how he keeps badgering Steve for his own office and/or a badge. One of these days I really want to see Danny walk in on Jerry with his crap all over Steve’s desk, take one look at Steve with his constipated control freak face on, bust up laughing, shake his head and just walk out! ROFL
I love Jerry, I truly do. I think he adds a lot to the dynamic of the team without being an actual part of it. So please, for the love of God, let’s keep it that way and not ever give Jerry a badge. An office, or better yet, a work room of some sort on the premises is acceptable but please never a badge. He is not a cop, an ex-cop, in the military or any of the other qualifications which make for an official member of Five-0. You want to give him a badge that says “consultant” or maybe “team mascot”? Go for it.
Honestly I think we may just hear about this pirate treasure again someday. I know they figured out that Washburn was a fraud but what if he wasn’t after all. What if the cheap stuff they found was only a ruse and the real treasure is still out there somewhere. Chin did say it was never recovered. And old Washburn has a striking resemblance to young Washburn, no?
– Kono and Adam: First off I adored their wedding reception. We, of course, got to see a glimpse of the fun in an IG video posted by Peter a few weeks ago but to see the whole thing was a lot of fun. It’s unfortunate that the boys were forced to discuss Gabriel’s interruption of the ceremony during the reception but even that impromptu meeting didn’t manage to lessen the warmth and fun of the evening. From Tia Carrere’s beautiful singing to watching everyone take to the dance floor, it was a fantastic reception, even though, for us, it didn’t last very long. I just adored the “We Are Ohana” and everyone dancing. You just gotta love the moves from Max, and I loved it when Steve managed to snag Danny for a twirl or two.
It’s unfortunate that the happiness of Mrs. Noshimuri and Mr. Kalakaua (just how adorable was that) is extremely short lived. I’m looking forward to seeing how this story plays out but I really wish they had let Kono and Adam be happy for just a bit, like… oh… I don’t know, a whole day maybe, before having Gabriel and his evil descend on them. And… oh…. did he descend… hard! I have to admit, even on the beach I found some of these scenes extremely hard to watch. When that masked man went after Kono’s teeth, oh my god, I had to turn away. Just a bit too Marathon Man for me.
And how stupid was it for the masked dental torturer to leave Kono unattended with a scalpel within easy reach? He obviously doesn’t watch this show, does he? LOL I just adored that she was able to get herself free and head off to the bank try to save Adam. Kono is always so badass.
Little bit of a funny story about that bank. When Lynnette and I were in Oahu @lisalisa98 took us on a walking tour all over to see sites from the show. We visited this bank (it was also where Kono had her shootout with Frank Delano in season 2) so, of course, I needed to take a picture of it. As I was taking the picture I noticed a security guard watching us. After a few moments he casually walked over to us. “Excuse me…can I ask why you’re taking pictures of the bank?” he asked. For a moment I was a bit flustered but then my Five-0 fangirl kicked in and I replied “Well, we’re Hawaii Five-0 fans, you see, and Kono had a shoot-out in this bank so, of course, I need a picture of it”. He just looked at me, totally puzzled and said “Ummmmmm ooookay…”. It really was pretty funny. I guess he thought we were casing the joint or something. I did offer to show him the shot and delete it if he felt I should but he said it was ok, smiled at our crazy selves and walked away.
Anyway, back to the show….when Gabriel turned around and shot Adam, I literally screamed out “Noooooo”. People on the beach around me must have thought I was nuts unless they were screaming right along with me. When Chin’s phone rang my heart just sank… “oh no, that’s Kono”. The look on Chin’s face was deathly. Friggin’ worst honeymoon ever!
The episode ends with the team running to meet Kono at the hospital, she’s covered in blood and Adam is in surgery. From editing pictures we’ve seen, and the official synopsis for the upcoming episode, we know Adam survives but the situation for them both is, once again, dire. Gabriel has all the money Adam was going to use to pay off the Yakuza. Without it, as Kono says, they are “both dead”. Ohhhhhh this story is gonna be so good!!! Did you see the look on Steve face? This is personal for them all now!
At the end of last season I was really looking forward to seeing what kind of villain they would make Gabriel and curious to see how Christopher Sean would play him. Well now, I have no doubts at all that Gabriel and Christopher are going to be an excellent replacement for WoFat and Mark Decascos. WoFat’s agenda was always personal, always ultimately aimed at Steve and the McGarrett family. He was precise and methodical. When he did resort to torture it was only aimed at Steve!
But, while Gabriel does have a personal connection with Chin, he is not confining his evil to just Chin. He’s already tried to turn Chin against Adam, and has now brutally gone after both Adam and Kono. With WoFat the entire team was after him for Steve’s sake, out of loyalty and love for him. The entire team will be after Gabriel now too for what he has done to three members of their Ohana. And you just know Gabriel is far from done. He will be a formidable adversary for them all. I can’t wait for his first run in with Steve!
– Steve and Catherine: I’ve tried to hold off voicing a public opinion on this for the most part. I wanted to see more than what I saw in the S5 finale before I made up my mind one way or the other about them. Now, having seen this episode and what little they actually had Catherine do in it, I can honestly finally say that this couple, at this point in time, do absolutely nothing for me.
I know all the reasons folks list about why they don’t care for Catherine. For me, it honestly has nothing to do with her staying behind in Afghanistan, doesn’t have to do with the way she basically broke up with Steve in an email or that she stayed away for an entire year. It doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks about these things, even the characters in the show, because Steve obviously doesn’t have a problem with any of it. If people consider him a strong, intelligent man, which I wholeheartedly do, then his judgement must be accepted in this matter. It’s just, personally, for me, I don’t feel it between them anymore.
But he’s obviously happy she’s back so I’m happy for him that he has her back. Now that she is, Steve is ready to take the next step. For the time being, I will be excited for him, just like Danny and the rest of the guys are, but I’m going to wait and see how it all plays out. I have said it before and this is just my personal feeling on the subject; I honestly don’t consider Catherine an important enough character to care one way or the other whether she stays or goes. As long as it’s written well. With Alex at the helm of this story line I know it will be acted extremely well no matter what happens.
– Loved Danny’s total excitement over Steve saying he’s going to propose to Catherine and his spilling the beans to the guys in the jungle about Steve’s upcoming proposal. I just love that even though Danny has reservations about why Catherine is back and how long she intends to stay, he is totally there and extremely happy for his best friend. I also thought that entire scene in the jungle was adorable starting off with all the “boys” complaining about tracking through the jungle, being tired and getting eaten alive by the bugs. And while Steve didn’t appreciate Danny giving away his surprise I’m sure glad he did. It was a great scene with Chin and Lou giving Steve their best wishes and Danny telling them all how he proposed to Rachel with the top of a soda can. Friggin’ adorable!
– Also loved the bit of continuity added with Danny saying he’d stay behind to guard the entrance of the cave they found because “claustrophobia doesn’t go away”. No… it doesn’t and I’m very glad the writers remembered that. I was certain the claustrophobia angle was written in Season 4 for the express purpose of dropping a building on the guys and that it would be forgotten once that episode was history. There have been several references to it since then, including this one. This makes me very happy.
– Also, we have ever actually seen Steve put a beat down on a woman before? I mean, we’ve seen him shoot woman perps plenty of times but an actual hand-to-hand beat down? I think this was a first.
So…there it is. Episode 1 of a great new season of Five-0. They’ve set up a couple of really great arcs for us to follow. Peter has said this season will revolve around the personal relationships of the team and he has certainly set us on that course. What will Kono and Adam do now that they are not only living on a cop’s salary but also have the Yakuza on their ass again? When will Steve pop the big question and what will Cath’s answer be? Will Steve ever get the chance to even ask her? Then there are the stories we know are coming which this premiere didn’t touch on. Chin and his new lady love. And we can’t forget Danny and his new relationship with Charlie and how it could potentially effect Grace?
Oh man…hang on gang. It promises to be another wild ride of a season! Personally, I can’t wait to see it all unfold.
Note about photographs: All the photos above are screen caps done by me from iTunes.